Well, after several months of being without my heart rate monitor during training and races, I finally (with the help of the GarminF Yahoo! Group) got it to work again! Sometime over the summer (I’m not exactly sure when), my heart rate monitor strap stopped transmitting data to the Forerunner 305 receiver worn on my wrist.
I tried everything I could think of and every tip I could find online, but still the monitor wouldn’t pick up my beating heart.
- I changed the battery (twice)
- I cleaned the contacts on the strap
- I ensured contact with my chest was a good
- I rescanned for new accessories
- I updated firmware and made sure all other software was up to date
- I tried positioning the strap on my back
- I even spent 30 minutes online with a Garmin Tech Support guy who suggested a complete reset to factory settings
I actually gave up finding a fix and ordered a new heart rate monitor strap from Amazon.com. It was not long after this that I stumbled upon an old post on the from someone with a similar problem. I posted a quick message asking for help and received a reply stating there could be a problem with how the battery was seated in the chest strap.
In the battery compartment there’s a gold contact that touches the top of the battery (+ve) which was in a position that would never make contact with the battery. I bent it out slightly, made sure the battery was seated correctly (i.e. flat) and as if by magic my heart rate appeared on the large Garmin display!
So, if you’re having problems with your electronic gadgets (in the words of Winston Churchill) “Never, never, never give up!”
I guess I’ll either return the new strap to Amazon or sell it on eBay when it arrives….